There are a number of provisional spaces in the Tokyo metro area that feel at-odds with its generally modern design. These are spaces that feel temporary and unpolished.
(2) An underpass near Senzokuike station (map)
Known as 東京一低いガード下. See post: Breaking the law to mail a letter, or, Being a pedestrian in America and abroad
(3) Public toilets – open to the world
Public toilets in parks and other spaces are shockingly open to the world. I often feel like I’m doing something wrong when I used an outdoor public restroom. For more examples, see Public toilets in Tokyo.
(3) Ichikawa, Chiba walkway (map)
On a long, rambling walk I was surprised that this bridge showed up as the suggested route on Google Maps. I followed it, of course.
(4) Tiny boat that ferries golfers across the Tamagawa river
(5) Path in Kawasaki hills
Near Kuji, Takatsu-ku, Kanagawa.
Baseball in Shibamata Park 柴又公園, on the banks of the Edogawa river, Katsushika-ku, Tokyo. See post: Tokyo day trip: riding into Shibamata on Tora-san’s coat-tails
The wonderful river and park just outside Futako-Tamagawa station:
(7) Path in Kawasaki going under the bridge: Nikaryou yousui canal 二ヶ領用水 （にかりょうようすい）
- Nikaryiuyousui Shukugawara banks cherry blossoms 二ヶ領用水宿河原堤桜並木 (photos)
- The following photos are of a railroad bridge of the Nambu Line 南武線.
(8) Narrow and low bridge underpass near Katsutadai Station 勝田台駅, in Chiba (map)
(9) Underpass in Hatanodai (map)
- Outside Tokyo: 頭スレスレを電車が通り抜ける！ The train goes through the head slaughter! (Yokosuka, Kanagawa: map)